> On Sep 28, 2015, at 6:07 PM, dangerwillrobinsondan...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> If not, NSImage has a nice API for drawing to the image context. Then you
> just have an NSImage. Let AppKit do the work. It will cache the drawing of
> that image until you change it.

That would be trading CPU for RAM (worse, for GPU RAM), which comes with its
own set of performance problems.

Also, last I heard, drawing text into offscreen buffers disables sub-pixel
antialiasing. Not noticeable with retina displays, but not everyone has those
yet.

Anyway, I still don't accept that drawing plain text in a scrolled view is too
slow, unless the code is doing something wrong like trying to draw all 100k
strings at once every time. I’d like to see the code behind the current
implementation…

—Jens