If it's any consolation, I couldn't update my Retina MBP 15 either initially.
When the installer was about to restart "An error occurred.  Please try again."

i had to reboot and install the OS again holding down some command key
sequence.  Only after a 1 hour install and putting a fresh install of the
current OS on back on my box was the 10.11 installer able to update the device.

Wonderful way to waste of a few hours, indeed.