On Oct 1, 2015, at 02:19 , Roland King <r...@rols.org> wrote:

> i’m sure it will work if your volume names aren’t rather unusual, it’s been
> tested for a while. “เม่น” looks like 3 characters, well it is 3 grapheme
> clusters but it’s 4 code points, one of which combines with the next one to
> form the single character. Given the one-character-off-the-end-of-the-string
> message that’s the first place I’d look.

Yes.

For the benefit of the anxious, I can confirm that it is possible to install
10.11 without anything going wrong, though it is pretty slow. The first 20,000
error messages (the ones about .LastResort) seem to be … ahem … normal, and
most of the other 5,000 error messages are "Path enumeration error: Error
Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=20 “Not a directory”” relating to lots of
different files. Apparently normal too.

Keep in mind that installing 10.11 with SIP is a pretty big deal, because the
installer has to examine all the system-specific locations on your hard disk,
and move (potentially) years of cruft out of places where it can’t be any more.
I thought the Ars Technica review of 10.11 was pretty enlightening on this
subject.