iOS 9.1, iPhone 5S, ObjC

I'm getting the following runtime warning due to multiple simultaneous
UIAlertControllers presenting at the same time:

Warning: Attempt to present <UIAlertController: 0x1835c000> on
<MyViewController: 0x17d26e70> which is already presenting <UIAlertController:
0x18381400>

I know only one alert view controller can be presenting at a time, so the way I
thought to serialize execution of each -presentViewController:: is:

        dispatch_async( dispatch_get_main_queue(), ^{
                            [ self presentViewController: alert
                                                animated: YES
                                              completion: nil ];
                        });

Why isn't dispatch_get_main_queue() enforcing serialized execution? Is there
another way to do this?
-Carl