Hello,

An explanation of what I'm working on in brief, to avoid questions as to why things are being done the way they are.

My company www.DraconisEntertainment.com develops audio-only computer games for the blind and visually impaired. Most of the games on our roster at present are games we acquired from a defunct company and were written using Visual Basic 6 for WIndows and use DirectX 8. Both of which are rapidly becoming obsolete.

Due to the upsurge of visually impaired Mac users, myself included, we're moving to make our titles cross-platform and up to date with more current technologies.

To that end, we're redeveloping many old titles, primarily in C++ for the bulk of the coding to make porting between Mac and Windows simpler. The games have no graphical interface to speak of, only an audio one.

The plan is to have the main application window to display the game logo, but the UI will be audio-only. This also solves the problem that, being visually impaired, Interface Builder is not accessible. I am using Objective C code to generate a window when the application launches.

Now for my two issues.

I need the app to be able to capture keyboard input when the application window has focus, take action based on that input, or, if the input is not valid to the game, let it pass through to the OS. My experience is mostly in Windows development, and I have no idea even where to start looking to accomplish this for the Mac OS X platform. Can you point me in the right direction?

Next, I need to be able to keep track of real-time during the game. In Windows, we'd use something like GetTickCount to accomplish this. Is there an equivalent on the Mac side? Again, pointing me in the right direction would be tremendously appreciated.

And, any other advice regarding development of C++ that can be ported and maintained easily between both OS's would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Josh de Lioncourt
Mac-cessibility: http://www.Lioncourt.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lioncourt