On 10 Nov 2015, at 9:46 PM, Dave <d...@looktowindward.com> wrote:

> Just to clarify, I don’t need a “_” at all, anywhere?

No.

> The reason I added them is because in uses them in the example at:

That's pre-10.9 syntax. Open Script Editor, and enter the code you see there:

on square_(aNumber)
           return aNumber ^ 2
end square_

Now compile and it will end up as:

on square:aNumber
        return aNumber ^ 2
end square:

Same thing, different syntax.

(And you should always use Open with External Editor so you can edit and
compile your code outside Xcode -- if you don't, you won't catch things like
terminology clashes.)

See the section on handlers in the AppleScript Language Guide.

--
Shane Stanley <sstan...@myriad-com.com.au>
<www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/apps/>