The bug should be that it gives you a wrong message, because it already
conforms to the protocol because it inherits from a class that conforms to the
protocol.

All you should have to do is implement an override of the methods to do custom
stuff or of the properties.
You shouldn't declare conformity to NSValidatedUserInterfaceItem because it
already confirms earlier in its ancestry.

Sent from my iPhone