> On 1 Jan 2016, at 11:54 AM, Roland King <r...@rols.org> wrote:
>
> Developer ID’ doesn’t sound right. Developer ID is for signing apps for
> non-mac-store distribution,

That’s exactly what I want to do.

> If you want to distribute a test copy of the app you need to sign it with the
> Mac developer certificate using a provisioning profile which contains the
> device which is going to run it.

I have no idea what device is going to run it. The app is a private copy for
testing, but by others, not by me. I usually handle this by simply signing it
with a Developer ID. That stops the testers getting the Gatekeeper warning, but
otherwise doesn’t put any special requirements on them. They can also verify
that the app is signed by the expected developer.

> The Mac Distribution certificate is for signing apps to send to the App Store
> where they get re-signed for distribution to the world.

At the stage the app isn’t destined for the App Store.

> Didn’t know that the thing would crash however

Yes, I’ve never seen this behaviour before either. I don’t really get it - the
iCloud signatures appear to match the Developer ID. Perhaps iCloud Drive is
simply unavailable to non App Store apps? If so it’s not very friendly about
saying so, and also makes it difficult to test the functionality. The app will
go in the App Store eventually, but our testing procedures are far smoother at
this stage (beta) without bringing that into it.

—Graham