> On Jan 1, 2016, at 6:54 PM, SevenBits <sevenbitst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Setting an exception breakpoint didn’t help; the app crashes anyway, leading
> me to believe that the problem either a) is not an uncaught exception or b)
> it is an exception, but occurs before the ObjC runtime is initialized.

It’s not an exception in the Obj-C or C++ sense; it’s a _CPU exception_, which
is usually called a crash. (Note "Thread 0 Crashed” at the top of the main
thread’s backtrace.) The log also tells you that the crash is an
EXC_BAD_ACCESS, which is triggered by accessing an invalid memory address.

Most importantly, the crash is in objc_msgSend and the log’s App-Specific Info
section says "objc_msgSend() selector name: respondsToSelector:”. 99.9% of the
time, a crash in objc_msgSend means a bogus Obj-C object pointer is being
messaged; usually that’s a pointer to a dealloced object, although it could be
a garbage pointer retrieved from an ivar of a dealloced object.

Since the caller is -[NSApplication updateWindows], it’s a pretty good bet that
the offending pointer is to an NSWindow.

The usual tool for diagnosing calls to dealloced objects is NSZombies. You can
turn this on in the Diagnostics tab of the Run page of the scheme editor.

—Jens