I’ve written a Media Management System where media files are named by ID
number. Some users have asked to be able to drag files straight from the client
app onto apps like Logic. The files are stored on remote network servers.

The actual file name is just an ID number. The users expect files to be named
based on the asset data.

Right now, users can ‘Check Out’ media files in the client app from the
servers, which transfers them to a chosen folder on the user’s machine, and
then renames the files from the ID to a descriptive name based on asset data.
From there, users can drag the files to apps like Logic.

Is there any way to cut out this ’staging’ folder? To somehow Drag a file
named: ‘0012345.m4a’ from the server (mounted via AFP) directly onto the
Desktop, or an app like Logic, and have it Dropped with a name like: ‘aaa bbb
ccc ddd.m4a’?

I don’t think it’s possible, but if it is, can anyone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
Rob