>>> Is there any way to cut out this ’staging’ folder? To somehow Drag a file
>>> named: ‘0012345.m4a’ from the server (mounted via AFP) directly onto the
>>> Desktop, or an app like Logic, and have it Dropped with a name like: ‘aaa
>>> bbb ccc ddd.m4a’?
>>
>> Sure — in general it’s possible to let the user drag a file that doesn’t
>> exist yet, then create the file in the dropped-on folder. The drag data you
>> provide isn’t a regular file flavor, but a special thing called a “file
>> promise” or “HFS promise” that specifies what type of file it will be; then
>> on drop you get the location to write the file to. The Cocoa docs should
>> have more info.
>>
>> —Jens

Took a while to dovetail this in to the tableView, since the ‘Promise’ drag has
to originate from the tableView subclass, whereas standard drags are handled by
the tableView delegate, but all works like a charm now, as I forward option
clicks to the TV subclass. I can copy files with a new name to the destination
folder.

Only problem seems to be that Logic doesn't respond to a dropped File Promise,
so the staging folder is still required. I’m very mystified by this, as Finder
and iTunes both do support this, and they’re all Apple apps.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Rob