> On Jan 11, 2016, at 7:35 AM, Jim Lee <j...@tropic4.com> wrote:
>
> We have an application, TopXNotes that allows multiple “documents” (notes) to
> be opened in adjacent views (panes). The notes can be edited individually.
> One can cut/paste/copy from any text document to/from a seperate text app, or
> from pane to pane. Just one example of something different that I hope fits
> into the parameters of this discussion. TopXNotes 2 (now in beta) adds “Open
> in Seperate Window” as an option that addresses that “best of both worlds"
> concept.
>
> Personally, I have never lilked the way Photoshop implements their extra
> panes because I have never been a fan of the inspector, but that is just me.
> On the other hand, I like the way Apple has implemented its multiple views
> approach in Xcode. Before apple did that there were just way too many windows
> jumping around and opening in seeming random oirder at random times. Now I
> get some CUI as things appear almost always where expected.

I have the opposite impression of Xcode - before, if I had related source files
opened in particular windows, those windows kept showing those files no matter
what I did. Now, randomly, the windows will show what Xcode thinks is related
content, or the debugger, or some other file I happened to double-click... I
didn't mind having 50 windows open, the Windows menu managed that nicely.

Not to prompt another round of Xcode bashing, just to point out that no system
is going to make everyone happy, so go for the most flexible one if you can.