> If you make it flexible, you risk getting 40% lovers and 40% haters, and 20%
> people who are annoyed because it’s too flexible or too complicated. That’s a
> net loss in satisfaction.

How about: 40% lovers, 40% haters, and 20% people who *are initially frustrated
by the complexity, and then take a few minutes to learn how to leverage its
power / flexibility.

That is most definitely a net *gain*.

This is the thing that is personally upsetting to me about this simplification
trend in modern software, it's the idea that all users should be treated like
children. There is a balance between simplicity/usability and flexibility/power
to be found, and I think a lot of software these days veers way off the mark.

Of course as an abstract philosophy there's always scenarios in which providing
a flexible system isn't worth the frustration it will cause with its learning
curve, but Xcode is a perfect example of when this is _not_ the case (IMO);
Xcode users should generally be expected to be reasonably intelligent folks who
are willing to learn a tool's nuances if that means it will improve their
workflow / development efficiency.

-Matt