On Jan 26, 2016, at 4:08 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

>> On Jan 26, 2016, at 12:43 PM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> Additionally, when creating an @property, the compiler does this
>> automatically, when it create the iVar, correct?
>
> Only if you have auto-synthesis turned on. (Which it is, by default, but I
> always turn it off because I think it’s a very bad idea: it means a typo in
> an explicit accessor method’s name isn’t a build error, but causes weird
> runtime bugs.)
>
> You have to use `@synthesize foo=_foo`, which is a little annoying. If you
> just say `@synthesize foo`, for some reason it names the ivar `foo` :-p
>
>> With @public and @protected and @private sadly starting with the letter p
>> this leaves us without obvious options to connote the style of the variable.
>

> I don’t see a need to distinguish ivar names by access level. For one thing,
> it should be rare to have protected ivars, and extremely rare to have public
> ones. And besides, it doesn’t seem like such an important distinction that it
> has to be in your face whenever you use the variable. IMHO, it’s _scope_
> that’s the important thing to make clear in the name.
>
>> I'm going to step out on a limb and since Xcode has supported editing in
>> UTF-8 and 16, that we look into those character sets and pick some symbols
>> that accurately represent public, protected and private.
>
> Now you’re pulling our legs, right Alex?

Yeah, I know.  It's really non conventional, buuut… I've started using some of
the characters such as the block and non breaking line to make better
formatting for comments and logging.  Other people who are on the Swift side of
things are even using smilies and emoticons in their code.  Or so they claim.
That scares me.

I think of it this way, "people have been allowed to program in Xcode in
Japanese, Chinese and Korean for a while now.  Why not take advantage of the
graphics in extended character sets if it doesn't break the universe in all
sorts of ways."

I am more than happy to be proven wrong and be told that this is an utterly
horrible idea.

Cheers,
Alex Zavatone