Check out how I did it where the search bar is within the scene’s view and the
scene’s view is the top level view.  Hopefully, this will translate from iOS to
OS X.

I don’t have the code with me at the moment, but on iOS, there were two a
settings I had to change to make my other view not offset down an extra 44
pixels.  I had to set the nav bar AND status bad to transparent or opaque and
then set the “Layout Adjusts Scroll View Insets" for the view controller.  What
I’m getting at is that if the direct options aren’t in your custom class in the
storyboard, they may be in a containing class like a nav controller.

Hoping that this translates over to Mac OS.