Suppose one wants to do a task in an NSView only once it has no drawRect calls
pending. Is there any way to tell, for a particular NSView, if there are any
drawing events coming up? Whether, that is, the view is up to date?

I've tried counting my explicit uses of setNeedsDisplay and decrementing that
count at drawRect, but the trouble is that one can call setNeedsDisplay many
times and that will not translate into the same number of drawRects.

One idea was to call getRectsBeingDrawn at drawRect and hope that the number of
rects is equal to the number of update requests combined into that call. But
the number of rects does not appear to equal the number of draw requests.

But there must be some place that contains a queue of upcoming draw requests.
If so, is there access to it?

I'm hoping this is a dumb question.

Thanks, Jeff