Clark, it's a music app; a piece is composed and placed on the screen; there's
a lot of massaging going on as the music adjusts visually. I want the play of
the example to begin once there are no more updates remaining. That is no
noticeable delay in terms of human time, but makes a difference in the
appearance.

So I figure: the system presumably knows if it is about to send more redraw
requests to that view. Is there any way I could know what it knows?

Jeff

On Feb 4, 2016, at 3:31 PM, Clark S. Cox III wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2016, at 15:07, Jeff Evans <jev...@ars-nova.com> wrote:
>
> Suppose one wants to do a task in an NSView only once it has no drawRect
> calls pending. Is there any way to tell, for a particular NSView, if there
> are any drawing events coming up? Whether, that is, the view is up to date?
>
> I've tried counting my explicit uses of setNeedsDisplay and decrementing that
> count at drawRect, but the trouble is that one can call setNeedsDisplay many
> times and that will not translate into the same number of drawRects.
>
> One idea was to call getRectsBeingDrawn at drawRect and hope that the number
> of rects is equal to the number of update requests combined into that call.
> But the number of rects does not appear to equal the number of draw requests.

Multiple invalid regions can be merged.

> But there must be some place that contains a queue of upcoming draw requests.
> If so, is there access to it?

There really isn't any such queue. There are only areas of the view that are
marked as invalid.

> I'm hoping this is a dumb question.
>
> Thanks, Jeff

I hate to be "that guy", but what are you actually trying to do?

--
If this email is spam, report it to
https://support.onlymyemail.com/view/report_spam/MTAxOTYyOjE4NDk5MDE2Njc6amV2YW5zQGFycy1ub3ZhLmNvbTpkZWxpdmVyZWQ