On Feb 12, 2016, at 19:46 , Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I’ve been running with zombies on and this crash occurs still

I think, in the scenario I described, zombie detection won’t help. It’s not an
undead object, but an undead reference.

It’s also worth noting, though no help at all to you at the moment, that Swift
objects actually have two reference counts, one for strong references and one
for non-strong references. Thus, objects aren’t fully deallocated until there
literally are no references. Of course, referencing an object that has no
strong references will cause a deliberate crash, but that’s good. You are
guaranteed that an invalid pointer is reliably invalid.

I recommend Mike Ash’s in-depth investigation into this topic:

https://mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2015-12-11-swift-weak-references.html
<https://mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2015-12-11-swift-weak-references.html>

and offer the opinion that even if you don’t think Swift is a superior
language, it’s aggressively moving in the direction of being a superior
developer experience.