On Feb 12, 2016, at 22:24 , Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> It’s deallocated, so AppKit uses that memory for something else. I clobber
> that memory using a stale reference.
>
> With zombies, the memory isn’t deallocated, it’s just marked as belonging to
> a zombie. If I try and access it using a stale reference, I’d get a zombie
> exception. AppKit can’t obtain the memory allocated to a zombie.

Oh, yeah, never mind.

The other ideas that were chasing around my mind were (a) the possibility that
CoreAnimation was actually trying to call out to something in your code, or (b)
CoreAnimation was using a private shortcut path to ‘release’, so the error
reporting doesn’t mean what it would normally mean. In the latter case, it’s
not totally impossible that it was after all a zombie object. I don’t think so,
I’m just advancing the possibility as a way of emphasizing the difficulty of
assigning blame.

If you have a crash log from when this happened, that seems like something you
could submit with a bug report. With a prima facie case against CoreAnimation,
you could make it Apple’s problem to figure out what went wrong.