Have you tested the sequence in which these events occur? Does the
reallocate method return before the data model has been updated (or its
updating has completed?). Just log when the reloadData method starts and
log when updating the data model finishes. Maybe the latter happens later
than the former? Even though in code that should not be happening? If so,
try deferring the reloadData method call with 0.25 or .3 seconds and see
what happens.

I came across a didRotateNotification that has a similar issues and where
I expected it to call the method that updates the interface when rotating
completely finished. Instead, the interface was updated just a tiny bit
too quickly. So, for completeness' sake, try looking at the sequence in
time...