Apologies for this 101 question.

Tried out Mac programming a couple of years ago, pre-Swift and when storyboards
were about to come out for the Mac. I used XIBs back then. Forward to a couple
months ago, and I tried out a Mac programming book. I started a new Xcode (7)
default project (no docs, no Core Data) and turned on both Swift and
storyboards. The app shows a window when I first run it. I’m thinking of being
more formal and implement a New command.

I guess I can use "+ storyboardWithName: bundle:” and "-
instantiateControllerWithIdentifier:” to create a new window. But where does
the default one come from? Why did it initiate? Is it because the window in the
Main storyboard has the initial arrow on it? How can I turn off the current
automatic window on app-open? (I’ll reimplement it with openUntitledFile.)

I remember for my first project a few years ago that I had to have an array of
NSWindow in my application delegate so each window keeps a reference around.
How is the storyboard's window in the new default app staying around without an
(obvious) reference?  There are no properties keeping a window reference in the
default code for the application delegate? Does this mean I now don’t have to
keep references for windows either?

—
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie