> But where does the default one come from?

Here are some steps for an iOS project - maybe it will be in the same area.

Select and open the storyboard in the IDE. Find the View Controller scene
you think is showing up by default. Open the scene (click the arrow) and
select the actual view controller beneath it. Then, look to your right in
the property pane and select the the Attributes selector (it looks like a
downward arrow). It is just to the right of the newspaper looking icon and
to the left of the ruler.

The first section you'll see will be titled "Simulated Metrics" ... the
second section will be titled "View Controller". The first field in "View
Controller will be "Title" and just under that you will see a checkbox that
says:

    "Is initial View Controller"

A check-mark here generally identifies the initial view controller. Again,
this is iOS and I understand your question was for OSX. My apologies if
this is just noise.

Thanks,
-Luther