There's a severe weakness in Storyboards for which I'm hoping a better solution
exists.

When you create a scene for say, a UICollectionView, the Storyboard makes it
very easy, but it also imposes a severe limitation. In my case, my
UICollectionViewController subclass lives inside a UINavigationController. It
manages the controls in the toolbar and the title, as well as the content.

But inevitably I want to add additional views beneath the UINavigationBar that
are NOT CONTAINED within the UICollectionView (in this case, a
UISegmentedControl for sorting the contents). The only way I see how to do this
with Storyboards is to create two view controllers, one that embeds the
UICollectionViewController subclass. But now its impossible to wire up
UINavigationBar items to it. I've been forced to split up view control across
two view controllers that really should be one.

This is solved by having the UICollectionView controller subclass have its view
property point to a generic containing view, and its collectionView property
point to the collectionView subview. But it's not really designed to work this
way, and Storyboards definitely doesn't support this.

The Apple-provided way imposes a HUGE burden.

Is there any happy middle ground?

I've written this bug before, but Apple doesn't care.

--
Rick Mann
rm...@latencyzero.com