My main dev machine runs the latest OS - 10.11.4

I need to install a 10.9 image on a disk partition for development testing.

How?

Apple’s dev site is getting worse all the time - wasting its time selling you
something you already have - OS X - but hiding away basic resources, like an OS
9 installer that I can download. I’ve just spent 20 minutes fruitlessly
searching the dev site. It’s utterly baffling, taking you round and round in
circles.

How can I do this? Surely it’s actually possible, somehow?

Note that I do have an old Mavericks Installer, but it refuses to run on 10.11,
saying that the app is too old ro run on this version of the OS. I also have
not been able to set the partition I intend to use (that contains the
installer) as a startup disk. I seem to recall that there was a thread about
this not long ago, I even seem to remember pitching in something, but now I
come to need it myself, I can’t get it to work.

Very frustrating!

—Graham