Hi all,

I have an apparently intractable problem with codesigning a Mac app. I don’t
really understand the process very well, so when it fails to work I have no
idea what the problem is, let alone how to fix it.

It has always more or less “just worked”, so it hasn’t been necessary to worry
about it too much, but now it is failing I can’t create even development
versions of my app.

I want to create a Developer ID signed version of the app. This is used for
testing as well as ultimately the non-App Store distribution of the app. The
app is not codesigned at all during compilation, and I end up with an archive
in the Organizer. I go to Export this, and choose “Export a Developer ID signed
version of the app”. I can see our company in the drop-down list and choose
that, then after a few seconds of processing, I get an error that states:

“XCode attempted to locate or generate matching signing assets and failed to do
so because of the following issues

Your account already has a valid Develoepr ID Application certificate. You have
a valid Developer ID Application certificate in the Member Center, but it is
not installed locally. If your signing identity is installed on another Mac,
you can export a developer profile on that Mac and import it on this Mac. You
can also reset your current certificate.”

Options offered are “Visit Member Center” and “Import Developer Profile”.

The Import seems irrelevant - I only develop on this one Mac, there are no
others. AFAICS, I have a valid provisioning profile for this Mac, and it’s
installed correctly. That said, I have no idea what that really means.

So anyway, I go to the Member Center, and I can see a Developer ID application
certificate, but the button to download it is greyed out, unlike all the other
certificates. If I look in my Keychain, I can see the certificate is there
anyway, so I don’t understand why a) it complains it’s not installed locally,
when it quite plainly is, and b) why I can’t download it in the Member Center
which it appears to require.

I’ve tried deleting all the certificates from Keychain, an also in XCode, and
it refetches them all again. Other than that I can’t see how to “start over”.
I’m reluctant to start revoking certificates in the member center, in case that
has the effect of denying our users from launching our app, which was otherwise
signed with these certificates when it was working.

Beyond this, I simply don’t understand the whole codesigning quagmire (other
than its general principles). Between XCode, the Keychain, the Member Center
and even System Preferences, it seems to be a remarkably Byzantine and opaque
process.

Anyone help me see my way out of this?

—Graham