> On May 18, 2016, at 10:04 AM, Paul Brown <p...@paulbrown.us> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to have the user select their preferred mail application that
> will respond to this?

The Launch Services framework has C functions that allow you to (a) find
applications that register a handler for a URL scheme, and (b) send a URL to an
app.

(Some of this functionality may also be in NSWorkspace; they’ve been adding
more LaunchServices-related stuff to that class over time.)

> In my experience on iOS, there are URL schemes for many apps that let a
> variety of apps pass data to other apps.

Not as much; it’s used for everything on iOS because it’s the only
straightforward mechanism to message another app. OS X has many more options,
such as AppleEvents and XPC.

—Jens