I wrote a Mac app that is a little directory lookup tool. You search for a name
(or partial name), it pulls user info from a database and shows the results in
a table view. One of the columns is for Email Address. It is a button that
shows the address on hover, and when clicked, it opens the mailto: link to
compose an email to the person, like so:

NSWorkspace.sharedWorkspace().openURL(NSURL(string:String(format:"mailto:%@",sender.alternateTitle))!)

Is it possible to have the user select their preferred mail application that
will respond to this? In my experience on iOS, there are URL schemes for many
apps that let a variety of apps pass data to other apps. Is this a thing on OS
X? The use case here is that I have my personal email account configured in
Mail.app, and my work email configured in Outlook 2016. It would be great to
have a pref pane in my app to let the user choose which mail app is used.

PS - yes, I should probably not force-unwrap that NSURL. i’m getting there… :-)

Thanks,
Paul