It sounds like you want your file format to be what is known as a “package”.
It’s a directory, but is (mostly) presented as a single file.

NSFileWrapper is an API for working with files, it does not directly control
whether something is a package or not. It just happens to be the most
convenient API in Cocoa for working with packages and documents, and so
NSDocument has built in support for that.

Mike.