> On Jul 8, 2016, at 8:13 AM, Sal Conigliaro <s...@erinedesign.com> wrote:
>
> You can send mail using sendmail without having to configure Postfix or
> Sendmail.
> Out of the box OS X can use sendmail to send messages.

I didn’t think this would actually work, but I tried it and it does.
It relayed to the SMTP server of my personal email account, judging by the
headers in the message as received:

        id 90842F8AC69; Fri,  8 Jul 2016 08:37:27 -0700 (PDT)

(Dreamhost is my domain host / email provider.) I have two email accounts, so I
don’t know how it decided which one to use. It’s not the first one in the list
in either Mail’s prefs or the Internet Accounts system pref.

I’m pretty sure this would not work from a daemon process, since there is no
associated user account to look up mail configurations from, and the
credentials to users’ SMTP accounts are unavailable since they’re in the users’
keychains.

—Jens