One of my apps uses NSTask to wrap a command line utility that is embedded in
the same app’s resources. This utility writes files to disk - I have no
knowledge of which APIs it uses to do this. If the task has ended (and I can
see that the actual instance of the running command line tool has disappeared
from my process tasks in Activity Monitor), and I send the file to the trash, I
can’t delete it (empty trash) until the app as a whole is quit - I get the
message that the file is still in use.

I’ve checked that I’m closing down the NSTask properly, as far as I can see.

Is this the expected behaviour?

—Graham