> On 25 Jul 2016, at 15:30, Alastair Houghton <alast...@alastairs-place.net>
> wrote:
>

>> On 23 Jul 2016, at 00:41, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jul 22, 2016, at 2:46 AM, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerr...@mdenkmann.de>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> When it gets some streams it will show a panel:
>>> “MyApp wants to sign using key “something” in your keychain” / “Allow”
>>> “Deny”
>>
>> Presumably this app is either acting as an SSL server, or is sending SSL
>> clients. Either of those roles involves signing data using the private key
>> associated with the certificate, to prove you own it.  If the app hasn’t
>> previously used that private key, the Keychain will ask your permission to
>> let the app use it. That’s the alert. Then it updates the key’s access
>> control list to remember your app has access. But this access is (usually)
>> invalidated when the app binary is modified, so you’ll (usually) see the
>> alert again if you modify the app and run it again.
>
> Unless, of course, the application is signed with a suitable certificate, in
> which case the access will be maintained, *provided* the application’s
> signature remains valid (which it won’t on some subset of machines because of
> people using badly written language stripping software that breaks the
> signature on your bundle by tampering with it---particularly MacKeeper’s
> implementation which appears to be automatic).
>
> I’d make sure that your application is code signed.  It makes it very much
> less tedious to develop or use.

This sounds like very good advice.

I looked at “Code Signing Identity” and found the following choices:

Don’t Code Sign (currently selected)
Automatic
        Mac Developer
        Mac Distribution
        Developer ID: *
Identities in Keychain
        Gerriet M. Denkmann
        iPhone Developer Gerriet …. (Zxyz…)
        Mac Developer Gerriet…(Zxyz…)
Other…

What would be the right thing to choose?

Kind regards,

Gerriet.