Hi all,

I’m getting an error from codesign when it tries to sign a third-party embedded
framework.

The error is:

/Users/grahamcox/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Drawkit-hlbdxcwqkoiqzlesbkfsrobctzke/Build/Products/Debug/Ortelius
 2.app/Contents/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Versions/A: No such file or directory
Command /usr/bin/codesign failed with exit code 1

The problem is that GEOS.framework/Versions/A doesn’t exist. That’s true - the
alias ‘Current’ points to a folder called ‘3’ within Versions which contains
the executable. ‘A’ doesn’t exist. (i.e. the path is GEOS.framework/Versions/3,
and this is where GEOS.framework/Versions/Current points to)

Isn’t this a serious bad assumtion on the part of codesign? Surely the bundle
folder structure for executables has always allowed the ‘current’ version to be
changed, and ‘A’ is merely the conventional name for version 1, followed by
‘B’, etc? In this case it seems to be using ‘3’ in a sequence which may once
have held ‘1’, ‘2’…

This is a 3rd party framework, I have not built it myself, and I’d rather not
have to if I can help it. Renaming the folders is easy enough, but nevertheless
I would expect codesign to understand the long-standing versioning schema
within a bundle.

Bug or reasonable assumption?

—Graham