> On Jul 25, 2016, at 6:15 PM, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I’m getting an error from codesign when it tries to sign a third-party
> embedded framework.
>
> The error is:
>
> /Users/grahamcox/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Drawkit-hlbdxcwqkoiqzlesbkfsrobctzke/Build/Products/Debug/Ortelius
>  2.app/Contents/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Versions/A: No such file or
> directory
> Command /usr/bin/codesign failed with exit code 1
>
> The problem is that GEOS.framework/Versions/A doesn’t exist. That’s true -
> the alias ‘Current’ points to a folder called ‘3’ within Versions which
> contains the executable. ‘A’ doesn’t exist. (i.e. the path is
> GEOS.framework/Versions/3, and this is where GEOS.framework/Versions/Current
> points to)
>
> Isn’t this a serious bad assumtion on the part of codesign? Surely the bundle
> folder structure for executables has always allowed the ‘current’ version to
> be changed, and ‘A’ is merely the conventional name for version 1, followed
> by ‘B’, etc? In this case it seems to be using ‘3’ in a sequence which may
> once have held ‘1’, ‘2’…
>
> This is a 3rd party framework, I have not built it myself, and I’d rather not
> have to if I can help it. Renaming the folders is easy enough, but
> nevertheless I would expect codesign to understand the long-standing
> versioning schema within a bundle.
>
> Bug or reasonable assumption?

My understanding is that this is a limitation of the Xcode build system.
codesign doesn't care about the framework's structure, but Xcode does and it is
telling codesign to look at the wrong path. You should mention rdar://17814234
when you file your bug report.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler