I remain a non-expert on this topic, but my assumption has always been that
the current “look” is by design. Ugly, but by design. “Equally distribute
cells across the row” could be taken to mean that in the case of one cell,
it belongs in the middle… [shrug]

This is some of the first Cocoa code I wrote so please forgive… almost
everything about it, but here’s the FlowLayout subclass I mentioned:
https://github.com/Peterbing/CV-AutoLayout/blob/master/TemplateProject/TheFlowLayout.m#L31

This is a completely “left-justified” layout and it works by overriding the
`layoutAttributesFor*` methods to call super, and then squishes everything
over to the left before returning the attributes to the caller.

This is certainly not production-quality code but perhaps it’s a start!
IIRC there is Apple documentation (or perhaps it was a WWDC session) about
creating a simple “tweaked” UICollectionViewFlowLayout subclass — so my
impression is that this approach in general is kosher.