Little different perspective, Core Data tends to work drop dead easy for
simple stuff. Small data set with simple functionality should work straight
out of the box easy.

And there is nothing wrong with creating a manual array of managed objects
from a Core Data result set.

I personally wouldn't stray from Core Data until you hit pain points,
performance problems or functionality limitations.

Core Data is like autolayout in that, it generally works very well for
simple things (which it sounds like you're after).

Just my $0.02,
Luther