On Aug 10, 2016, at 13:29 , Doug Hill <cocoa...@breaqz.com> wrote:

> Again, looking for any ideas, pointers, etc. about any of this, including
> whether I'm going about this the wrong way.

This is something that you should use a TSI for. Because collection views have
evolved over OS generations, it’s now hard to separate documentation errors
from compatibility modes from recommended design and coding practices of
various eras. Even if you don’t have a free TSI available, paying for one is
likely the best strategy, and the best use of your time.