I definitely remember feeling like there was a bit of a mismatch between the
“declarative” feel of auto layout and the more procedural feel of all the
necessary collection view layout overrides and whatnot. Bridging that gap was
the main reason for all the shenanigans in that code (well, that and me only
being a Cocoa hobbyist).

And you're quite right to perhaps not want to clutter up all your classes with
that gunk if it can be avoided! Count me as one very interested to hear DTS’s
suggestions if it's possible for you to share them.

Cheers,

Peter