On Aug 22, 2016, at 8:26 AM, Andreas Falkenhahn <andr...@falkenhahn.com> wrote:

> I've created an NSAlert dialog as described here:
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Dialog/Tasks/UsingAlerts.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000871-129009-BCIFAAEJ
>

> When I run it using
>
>   [alert runModal];
>
> it shows up correctly but pressing a button doesn't do anything on 10.6. The
> dialog isn't closed and just stays there. On 10.11, however, everything is
> working correctly. Pressing a button closes the dialog and returns the id
> of the button that has been pressed.
>
> Since NSAlert is quite an essential class, I don't think that this is a bug
> in 10.6 so I'm probably doing something wrong. Does anybody have an idea
> what could cause this behaviour on 10.6 and how I can fix this?

Tell us more about the context.  Is this a normal app or is it unusual in some
way?  Is this in the same app from your other thread where you're trying to
shoehorn Cocoa into a C-based program?  Can you reproduce the problem in a new,
standard Cocoa app project?

Are any exceptions logged to the console when you press the button on 10.6?
Does the button visually respond (depress/highlight) to your click and it's
just that it doesn't take effect?  Or does it not even respond to the click?

Are you running the alert from the main/original thread or a secondary thread?

Regards,
Ken