For reference, I have a sample project location at

https://github.com/ericgorr/nspanel_show

It is a Document Based and Storyboard application.

On my main window, I have a toolbar with an Toolbar Item called 'Inspector'. I
have defined a segue between this item and my Inspector Utility Panel called
"Show Inspector". When I press the Inspector toolbar item, the utility panel
does show as expected. I can close the panel by pushing the standard window
close button.

What I would like to do is trigger my "Show Inspector" segue when I push the
"Show Panel" button. I have tried the code:

    @IBAction func showMyPanel( _ sender: AnyObject )
    {
        NSLog( "How do I show the panel?" )

        self.performSegue( withIdentifier: "Show Inspector", sender: self )

    }

While I do see the log message 'How do I..', my utility panel is not shown.

How can I get this work?

Here is an image that shows the basic setup in Interface Builder.

https://github.com/ericgorr/nspanel_show/blob/master/extra/Screen%20Shot%202016-09-17%20at%208.13.23%20PM.png