I don't know the definition but my experience.
JPEG accepts up to 65500 pixels width and height.  Core Graphics framework
supports more than that of course, and also PNG accepts more. Some NSBezierPath
methods will fail to draw around 80000 and many methods fail over 120000, then
i support up to 65500 now.

Yoshiaki Katayanagi
http://www.jizoh.jp/english.html