I am rendering sound sonagrams as contents of CALayers which have dimensions of
height 1024 pixels and width above 30000 pixel. No problem as long as you don’t
use CIFilters. With them roughly 12000 pixels will work and larger images won’t
get the filters applied to. I have solved that by using multiple CATiledLayers
just aligned horizontally.

The CATiledLayers call drawLayer:inContext and from there I directly draw the
image (if necessary scaled down). The image is stored as one large CGImage in a
property of my controller class. For 10.12 the tile size is drastically
influencing performance, larger tile sizes are better.

So depending on your needs that may be a useful approach.

volker