On 04 Oct 2016, at 14:26, Jonathan Mitchell <li...@mugginsoft.com> wrote:

> PDFKit seems a bit disturbed on Sierra.
> The 10.12 beta 3 seems to improve things but there are still some rendering
> stutters etc.

1. Why are you referring to a beta, when 10.12 has been out for weeks now?

> Has PDFKit been reworked - there doesn’t seem to be any mention of it in the
> release notes?
> If so it might be a question of waiting for the internal gremlins to be
> hunted down rather than me wasting too much time on this.

Whatever is going on with PDFKit, it’s not good. At least, it wasn’t for 10.11
and 10.12. PDFKit developed some serious flaws in 10.11, and despite my bug
reporting these issues did not get fixed. It’s even so bad that in a 10.12 beta
I reported how one of those bugs was affecting the Preview app, and in the next
beta issue was fixed in Preview, but not in PDFKit. Which leads me to believe
that Preview may no longer be using PDFKit, or at least not its public API in
places. And no acknowledgement from Apple whatsoever about any of the PDFKit
related bug reports. The issues concerning rendering in PDFKit since 10.11
cripple such a significant part of my software’s functionality, without the
possibility of a workaround, that I had to decide to EOL my software, now that
it is clear that they won’t be fixed in 10.12.

At the moment I cannot recommend the use of PDFKit for third party developers.

-António