On Oct 19, 2016, at 17:34 , Alan Snyder <applemail832...@cbfiddle.com> wrote:

> Do you have a test of a textured button in a textured window that does not
> gray out when inactive? (I’m ignoring the fact that textured buttons are not
> supposed to be used in the content area.)
>
> I have also noticed that if I add a template icon to the textured button,
> then the text and the icon both gray out, even in a non-textured window.
>
> However, if I use a textured segmented control with a label and a template
> icon, the label grays out but the icon does not.
>
> Perhaps the intent is to gray out all textured buttons in inactive windows
> but the support is buggy?

I think the behavior is tailored (for each macOS version, so it’s not set in
stone) to meet the human interface guidelines, not so much for absolute
consistency in all possible scenarios. I don’t believe that textured windows
are recommended any more (they’re not even mentioned in the current HIG
document, that i can see), the question of what the buttons do is moot — or
perhaps retains a behavior defined in earlier versions. Ditto for different
button configurations, such as the ones with images. Segmented controls have
always been weirdly different in appearance from buttons, for much the same
reasons.

If I’m starting a new UI design from scratch, I generally go through the HIG
and choose my layout, styles and behaviors from amongst those explicitly
discussed, and avoid those on which nothing is said. That way, at least, if
there’s some behavior that doesn’t follow the HIG rules, I can submit a bug
report.

So, clearly, there is an intention to gray out toolbars and status bars in
inactive window, and an intention not to gray out controls in the body of a
window. At a high level, doesn’t that describe the things that you’ve been
seeing?