On Oct 20, 2016, at 09:53 , Alan Snyder <applemail832...@cbfiddle.com> wrote:

> If you exclude textured controls in the window content area, then my examples
> are all moot.

Here’s what the HIG has to say about this
(developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/ControlsAll.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-CH46-SW2):

> Some Controls Can Be Used in the Window Frame
>
> A small subset of controls have a display style that makes them suitable for
> use in the window-frame areas (that is, in the toolbar or a bottom bar);
> these controls are listed in Table 35-1.
>
> [… table lists rounded textured buttons, along with textured segmented
> controls and textured popup menus …]
>
> *Don’t use the window frame–specific control styles in the window
> body*[emphasis in original]. The control and style combinations listed Table
> 35-1 are specially designed to look good on the window-frame, whether it’s
> translucent or opaque. *These control styles don't look good in the window
> body*[emphasis in original]. In particular, these control styles can use
> inactive and other appearances that don't harmonize with standard control
> styles.
>
> Don’t use window-body controls or styles in the window frame. All
> system-provided controls and styles other than those listed in Table 35-1 are
> designed to look good in the window body and its content regions, and should
> not be used in the window frame.

Isn’t that the answer to the question you’re asking? I’m not excluding textured
controls from the content area, Apple is.

> Can you tell me how to create a window with a bottom status bar in IB? It
> seems to depend on some sort of analysis by AppKit.

Select the window in IB and display the Size inspector. In the last section,
“Content Border”, enter a manual value in the “Bottom” field. (I haven’t had
much success with any of the menu choices that promise to set the bottom border
height automatically.)