On Oct 26, 2016, at 22:19 , John Brownie <john_brow...@sil.org> wrote:

> Well, when you live in the tropics, you do look forward to cool weather! But
> seriously, it's necessary to see family and supporters from time to time.
> Having grown up in Australia, snow is still pretty exciting, though less so
> for my wife, who is the Finn.

One of the things I remember about Isaac Asimov’s books (though I can’t
remember which ones: the I, Robot series, I would guess) is that he talks about
“personal atomics”. That is to say, portable nuclear power generators small
(and safe!) enough to be worn as a bracelet or necklace. If you had such
technology, you could feasibly walk around in Finland with a personal wearable
tropical biome, and your wife could walk around the tropics under her own mini
snowstorm.

The only problem, of course, is that the technology hasn’t been invented yet.
It occurs to me that this is something that Apple should do. It would also be
good for people with Apple watches, since it would allow them to wear their
watches to bed without running down the battery.