> On Feb 15, 2017, at 7:18 AM, Bill Cheeseman <wjcheese...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> After I switch to a different space, rows in one column of the browser view
> do not become visible when I scroll the column vertically.

I figured out that the problem is a conceptual misfit between Mission Control
and the way I was trying to make my application work.

My application is UI Browser <http://pfiddlesoft.com/uibrowser
<http://pfiddlesoft.com/uibrowser>>. Its browser view displays the
Accessibility hierarchy of the UI elements in a selected target application.
The second column always displays the open windows (and the menu bar) of the
target application.

It turns out that, if an application like the Finder has windows open in
multiple Mission Control spaces, UI Browser's second column only displays the
windows that are open in the current space. When I switch to another space, UI
Browser can no longer access the windows in the original space. So when I
scroll the second column, the now inaccessible windows' titles can't be
displayed because UI Browser cannot find them.

So, the next version of UI Browser (due soon) will refresh its view when the
user switches spaces, so as to show only the windows that are accessible in the
new space. This change will conform to the basic principle of macOS
accessibility, which is that a Mac should only make visible to users with
disabilities the same things that a sighted user can see, and a sighted user
cannot see the windows in a space that is not currently visible.

My Mac has the Mission Control preference "Displays have separate Spaces"
turned OFF. For the case of people who have it turned on and use multiple
monitors, I think I should probably also stop using
NSWindowCollectionBehaviorCanJoinAllSpaces and use
NSWindowCollectionBehaviorMoveToActiveSpace instead.

I've been working with the macOS Accessibility API for 15 years now, and I'm
still learning new stuff!

--

Bill Cheeseman - wjcheese...@comcast.net