> On 2 Apr 2017, at 06:33, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 1, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerri...@icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think that the examples above show, that NSURL does indeed do something
>> about normalising Unicode strings.
>
> That makes sense; I’d expect that one of the RFCs covering URLs describes
> normalization. Otherwise constructing URLs (for a REST API, say) could become
> quite ambiguous because you wouldn’t know which way to encode various Unicode
> characters.
>
>> But my point is that NSURL gets the normalisation wrong in this case; or at
>> least that it is not very consistent in normalising strings.
>
> Yes, it does seem wrong that you can have two filenames that are treated as
> distinct by the filesystem, but whose URL.path properties produce identical
> NSStrings.

Sorry, my explanation was not quite clear: these two filenames look absolutely
identical, but as a sequence of Unicode code points, they are not (tone-mark
and vowel are in different order).

What puzzles me is that consonant + THAI CHARACTER MAI EK + THAI CHARACTER SARA
UU gets normalised by NSURL to:  consonant + THAI CHARACTER SARA UU + THAI
CHARACTER MAI EK (note the different order), whereas consonant + THAI CHARACTER
MAI EK + THAI CHARACTER SARA II is left unchanged.

> (I assume you’ve been following the recent thread here about potential
> Unicode problems with the APFS filesystem in iOS 10.3? It sounds like things
> might become even more confusing.)

Yes, indeed I have. That started me worrying and looking into these
normalisation issues.

Kind regards,

Gerriet.