> On 3 Apr 2017, at 05:58, Aki Inoue <a...@apple.com> wrote:
>
>>> This is the standard Unicode Normalization behavior. Each Unicode character
>>> is assigned the Unicode Combining Property, an integer value defining the
>>> canonical ordering of combining marks.
>>>
>>> The Unicode Combining Property for THAI CHARACTER SARA UU is 103, and THAI
>>> CHARACTER MAI EK 107. So, MAI EK always comes after SARA UU in the
>>> canonical order.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, THAI CHARACTER SARA II has the property value 0 which
>>> indicates the start of the reordering segment. That’s why the character is
>>> not reordered in respect to other Thai combining characters.

I just read UNICODE NORMALIZATION FORMS <http://unicode.org/reports/tr15/>.

Under “11.1 Stability of Normalized Forms" it says: “A normalized string is
guaranteed to be stable; that is, once normalized, a string is normalized
according to all future versions of Unicode.”

That means: As consonant + tone-mark + top-vowel is normalised in the current
Unicode, there is no way to create a better normalisation which would normalise
this to: consonant + top-vowel + tone-mark.

Apple uses (as far as I remember) a variant of Unicode’s canonical
decomposition form.
So Apple could use a better normalisation.

But: An existing filename, which is not normalised under the new and better
normalisation rules, would become inaccessible. Not good.
Renormalising all filenames according to the new and better normalisation rules
would be probably rather expensive.
Also one would need to rename some files, which become identical under the new
rules. Kind of messy, but not too much.

So I do not really see a way out of this problem (created by some questionable
decisions of the Unicode people).

Kind regards,

Gerriet.

P.S. A similar problem exists with NIKHAHIT + Sara Aa versus Sara Am. Looks
identical, but is not normalised.