> On Jun 26, 2017, at 7:25 PM, Sandor Szatmari <admin.szatmari....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> This is an interesting thread.  The OP's original question made me think of
> the functionality Apple recently (how recently I'm not sure) added to the iOS
> Notes app.  It allows you to selectively 'encrypt' (password protect) a note.
>  This functionality allows you to pass your phone to someone to let them read
> a note and not worry about them skipping to your note with all your 'secret
> info'.  Also, if someone got your phone in an unlocked state, (it could
> happen I guess) they couldn't trust a Mac and browse to plain text files.

I hadn’t heard of that feature. It seems a bit odd, but I suppose people do
share devices.
Does Apple explicitly refer to this as “encryption"? If not, I suspect that
they’re simply storing a password with the note, and the GUI won’t display the
note until you enter the password.

> I must say at this point I whole heartedly agree with all the warnings for
> implementing encryption schemes.  But is there not also a valid use case
> here?  Unless I'm misunderstanding things, Apple seemed to think so.

There’s some use in a scenario like this, and it could be a nice feature to add
to apps … if there were a convenient and trustworthy file encryption API
available. But there doesn’t seem to be. (I don’t know what it is about Apple
and crypto APIs, but there appears to be zero interest in or competence at
improving them. If anything, they appear to get worse over time.)

—Jens