I have a NSTableView, cell-based (partially because it’s a very long-standing
piece of code, partially because it is just a table of values which a
cell-based table is ideally suited to - view-based would not do anything for me
here).

This table has always worked fine, but in Sierra, it is slow. as. molasses.

It is particularly noticeable when scrolling, which is needed when it has more
than about 20 items. I get a ‘framerate’ of about 1 every 2 seconds.

I assumed my data source methods were slow, so I tried stubbing them out to see
if that was indeed the cause, but no - even returning placeholder strings
doesn’t make any difference.

Has anyone else noticed this in Sierra? What has changed that could make table
views slow, and how can I restore its normal performance? I’ve turned off
elasticity and ‘auto content inset’ for the scrollview, which I have noticed to
cause some performance issues in other views, but it hasn’t helped.

—Graham